At least, I tried it with MOSS 2007 with SP1. It will not work!
You will get the following error message:
Title: Program Compatibility Assistant
Message: No solutions found for Office SharePoint Server 2007 - Please read Microsoft Knowledge Base article: 962935
Don't try to find this KB article (it's here). It doesn't have anything to do with this particular problem.
The work-around for this problem is as follows:
- Copy the setup folder of WSS3.0 or MOSS 2007 to the local drive of the server, e.g. C:\Moss_Install
- Delete all content in the sub folder "updates"
- Download WSS3.0 SP2 (here) and MOSS 2007 SP2 (here)
- Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder where you put the both SP2 files
- Extract WSS 3.0 SP2 and MOSS 2007 SP2 using the command prompt:
[filename] /extract:[path to copied setup folder step 1]\Updates /quiet
The SharePoint installation program will automatically read this folder to apply the patches.
- Optional: some people mention to delete the wsssetup.dll file. I didn't for the MOSS setup. It just works leaving this file.
Start the setup.exe in the copied setup folder and you are on your way.